Organizations Working To Improve Water Quality
Save Maumee Grassroots Organization has been implementing restoration projects since 2005 as a 100% volunteer organi-zation. Save Maumee’s purpose is to preserve, protect and improve the ecosystems of the Upper Maumee River and Watershed by increasing public awareness through advocacy, collabora-tion, education and hands-on projects in the Ft. Wayne, Indiana area.This riparian buffer* initiative protects water quality by reducing erosion and protecting the river from the impact of adjacent land uses.
Save Maumee Riparian Buffer Initiative 2016-2019
- Restored 1.4 miles of degraded stream banks
- Created 4 acres of riparian buffer
- Planting 2780 native trees and shrubs
- Removal of invasive species including: Tree of Heaven, Autumn Olive & Asian Honeysuckle
- Funding from Great Lakes Restoration Initiative and US Forest Service
- LOCAL PARTICIPATION! Thousands of volunteer hours!
For more info, visit: savemaumee.org